- 1 lemon
- 1 pound of Sunrise Fresh Dried Cherries
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods (2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond extract can be used in place of the cardamom)
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cups of distilled water
- 2 cups raw cane sugar
- Grate a small amount of lemon peel into a bowl. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the lemon juice into another bowl.
Place the cherries in a large pot. Add lemon zest, cardamom pods, ginger, and finally the water.
Once the mixture has come to a slight boil, turn down the heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Place a mesh sieve over a bowl or large pitcher. Line the sieve with a cheesecloth. Pour the cherry mixture into the sieve so the fluid can drain through. Press the cherries with a pestle or wooden spoon to get as much of the juice as possible. Discard the cherries.
- Stir the sugar into the hot cherry juice. Stir until it is completely dissolved. Add the lemon juice and continue to mix.
- Pour into large bottles and seal. Store in the fridge for approximately six weeks. Six months if you place it in the freezer.
- When ready to serve, pour up to four tablespoons into a small glass and fill with sparkling water. If you prefer an adult beverage add two or three ounces of vodka.